Tracking Using an Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV)
The MASC UAV was a project by the Motion and Shape Computing Group to create autonomous unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) platforms to perform Tracking and Shepherding tasks. This research of Professor Jyh-Ming Lien and student Christopher Vo in collaboration with Dr. Young-Jun Son and Dr. Jian Liu at the University of Arizona was supported by the Air Force Office of Scientific Research (AFOSR FA9550-12-1-0238). This web site describes a design for a multi-rotor robotic aircraft suitable for this task.
MASC Quadrotor UAV Platform (Photo: Christopher Vo)
Autonomous Positioning in the Nguyen Engineering Building (Photo: Washington Post)
MASC Hex-rotor UAV Platform, now at Naval Research Laboratory (Photo: Christopher Vo)
Christopher Vo speaks at Smithsonian's "Future is Here" conference (Photo: Smithsonian)
Two MASC quadrotor platforms fly together at GMU (Photo: Robert Reeder, NowU)
Principal Investigator: Jyh-Ming Lien
Students: Christopher Vo
A DDDAMS-Based UAV and UGV Team Formation Approach for Surveillance and Crowd Control, Amirreza M. Kaleghi and Dong Xu and Sara Minaeian and Mingyang Li and Yifei Yuan and Jian Liu and Young-Jun Son and Christopher Vo and Jyh-Ming Lien, Proceedings of the 2014 Winter Simulation Conference, 2014
Web Site / BibTeX
A Comparative Study of Control Architectures in UAV/UGV-based Surveillance System, Amirreza M. Khaleghi and Dong Xu and Sara Minaeian and Mingyang Li and Yifei Yuan and Christopher Vo and Arsalan Mousavian and Jyh-Ming Lien and Jian Liu and Young-Jun Son, Proceedings of the Industrial and Systems Engineering Research Conference, 2014
DDDAMS-based Crowd Control via UAVs and UGVs, Zhenrui Wang and Mingyang Li and Amirreza M. Khaleghi and Dong Xu and Alfonso Lobos and Christopher Vo and Jyh-Ming Lien and Jian Liu and Young-Jun Son, Proceedings of the 2013 International Conference on Computational Science, 2013
Articles / Press
- Jan 13 2013: Christopher Vo Leads Washington Area's Largest Robot Build Event
- Apr 01 2013: Article in New Yorker Magazine About Drone Building featuring Christopher Vo
- Apr 18 2013: PBS News Hour segment on building a do-it-yourself drone - Video Spotlight - Full segment
- Apr 29 2013: McClatchy News Story (See video at bottom)
- May 09 2013: Capital News Service Article and Video
- May 09 2013: Capital Gazette article on RobotFest
- May 12 2013: Libération (French Publication)
- Jul 21 2013: Salon Article on domestic drones
- Jul 31 2013: Voice of America - Chinese TV interview about drone technology
- Aug 17 2013: Washington Post front-page article about domestic drones (photo only), video interview and footage from GMU here on The Fold.
- Aug 30 2013: Today Show segment about personal drones; the quadcopter floating next to Tom Costello on live national television is our research platform.
- Oct 26 2013: NPR Article about drone safety
- Dec 02 2013: Quoted in Washington Post article about Amazon's delivery drones.
- Dec 18 2013: Interviewed by NBC about the future of drones
- Dec 19 2013: Christopher quoted in New Republic article about Amazon Drone Delivery
- Mar 10 2014: Picture on WAMU article about building drones
- Mar 19 2014: Christopher quoted about STEM volunteering at the local Maker Faire.
- Mar 24 2014: Featured in Washington Post / Associated Press Article about drones. Feature article on the front page of the Style section in print.
- Apr 08 2014: Student profile in Mason Spirit magazine (see print version)
- Apr 22 2014: Article about Christopher on InTheCapital
- May 04, 2014: Appeared in Season 2, Episode 4 of the CNN documentary show Inside Man, hosted by Morgan Spurlock, about Big Data and Privacy. (Video Clip)
- May 15, 2014: Smithsonian Article about Christopher's talk at Smithsonian's "The Future is Here" Festival
- May 31, 2014: CCTV Interview about potential use of drones in journalism
- June 03, 2014: MASC UAV appears on CBS This Morning held by Jeff Pegues during the broadcast.
- July 08, 2014: WashingtonExec article about Christopher Vo and his ideas about drone STEM education, and commercial uses.
Related MASC Research Pages
Following a Group of Moving Targets
Shepherding Planning and Behaviors
List of UAV Related Pages