Tracking Using an Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV)
The MASC UAV is a project by the Motion and Shape Computing Group to create an autonomous unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) to perform Tracking and Shepherding tasks. This collaborative research with Dr. Young-Jun Son and Dr. Jian Liu at University of Arizona is supported by the Air Force Office of Scientific Research (AFOSR FA9550-12-1-0238). This web site describes a design for a multi-rotor robotic aircraft suitable for this task.
Principal Investigator: Jyh-Ming Lien
Students: Christopher Vo
Table of Contents
UAV Hardware Overview
A Comparative Study of Control Architectures in UAV/UGV-based Surveillance System, Amirreza M. Khaleghi and Dong Xu and Sara Minaeian and Mingyang Li and Yifei Yuan and Christopher Vo and Arsalan Mousavian and Jyh-Ming Lien and Jian Liu and Young-Jun Son, Proceedings of the Industrial and Systems Engineering Research Conference, 2014
DDDAMS-based Crowd Control via UAVs and UGVs, Zhenrui Wang and Mingyang Li and Amirreza M. Khaleghi and Dong Xu and Alfonso Lobos and Christopher Vo and Jyh-Ming Lien and Jian Liu and Young-Jun Son, Proceedings of the 2013 International Conference on Computational Science, 2013
Articles / Press
- Jan 13 2013: Christopher Vo Leads Washington Area's Largest Robot Build Event
- Apr 01 2013: Article in New Yorker Magazine About Drone Building featuring Christopher Vo
- Apr 18 2013: PBS News Hour segment on building a do-it-yourself drone - Video Spotlight - Full segment
- Apr 29 2013: McClatchy News Story (See video at bottom)
- May 09 2013: Capital News Service Article and Video
- May 09 2013: Capital Gazette article on RobotFest
- May 12 2013: Libération (French Publication)
- Jul 21 2013: Salon Article on domestic drones
- Jul 31 2013: Voice of America - Chinese TV interview about drone technology
- Aug 17 2013: Washington Post front-page article about domestic drones (photo only), video interview and footage from GMU here on The Fold.
- Aug 30 2013: Today Show segment about personal drones; the quadcopter floating next to Tom Costello on live national television is our research platform.
- Oct 26 2013: NPR Article about drone safety
- Dec 02 2013: Quoted in Washington Post article about Amazon's delivery drones.
- Dec 18 2013: Interviewed by NBC about the future of drones
- Dec 19 2013: Christopher quoted in New Republic article about Amazon Drone Delivery
- Mar 10 2014: Picture on WAMU article about building drones
- Mar 19 2014: Christopher quoted about STEM volunteering at the local Maker Faire.
- Mar 24 2014: Featured in Washington Post / Associated Press Article about drones. Feature article on the front page of the Style section in print.
- Apr 08 2014: Student profile in Mason Spirit magazine (see print version)
Related MASC Research Pages
Following a Group of Moving Targets
Shepherding Planning and Behaviors
List of UAV Related Pages